Why do you play PBBGs over more flashy/modern games?

Alot of PBBGs are also text-based, but even those that aren’t are still somewhat restricted by the medium; even given the power of modern web browsers, our most impressive games will not be as flashy as many offerings on other platforms.

So why do you bother? What brings you to a PBBG despite countless other games on different platforms also competing for your time and money?

No takers, huh? Alright, I’ll bite. :stuck_out_tongue:

For me, it’s a combination of accessibility, familiarity, and immersion. I do enjoy a pc or console game now and then, but when I play other games I always feel aware that I’m playing a game. Even the most polished and immersive experience is only a short term escape into whatever world I’m experiencing at the time.

With PBBGs though, even ones that don’t look all that great, the medium itself makes a persistent universe somehow feel more real and consequential for the long term. I don’t get this from persistent games on other platforms, and definitely not on browser games that aren’t persistent.

There’s something about this exact mix that feels like an extension of other things that I’m doing online, and therefore inherently more immersive as if the experiences in my online life and my online game life overlap.

I’d love to someday learn more about the psychology around this, but at the very least I can say I that when I play a PBBG seriously, it evokes a commitment that I’ve never experienced with other games. It’s definitely more work, but it’s also more rewarding.

What about you?